– Paul Polman, CEO of Unilever
Growstack is an open-source non-profit community project addressing the issues within our food system via vertical farming. It’s all about ensuring high food quality, future food security and our climate.
One of humanity’s biggest challenges is to produce enough quality food for a rapidly growing population in a sustainable way. And scaling up conventional farming is simply not a viable option.
We need alternatives.
Vertical farming is a promising alternative. That’s because it is extremely resource-efficient with full control of an automated plant production. It enables local production of high-quality food with no pesticides.
But so far, high complexity and lack of transparency inhibit a lot of motivated people from getting involved. This is a problem, because food production is an extremely cross-disciplinary field, where diverse inputs are needed.
Growstack paves the way for new solutions by making vertical farming technology accessible, bringing motivated people together and removing the barriers to get started with new ways of producing food.
An aeroponic vertical farming technology stack is made openly available, while knowledge sharing is supported and a culture of really walking the talk is built in the community.
We launch Growstack as a Copenhagen based three-month pilot project from March 14th 2018. The goal is to spread open-source innovation principles for vertical farming across the globe. But let’s with the momentum in Copenhagen.
This is what is happening with Growstack:
- An aeroponic technology stack is made openly available (open-source GPL)
- An open wiki for project-specific knowledge sharing incl. business aspects is built
- A vertical farming system is in daily operation and optimized for crops in local demand
- Meetups and hackathons around vertical farming technology is held
- The community runs agile experiments and co-creates needed solutions around vertical farming.
We will make the production of delicious, tasty, highly nutritious and pesticide-free local food possible for everyone, everywhere.
Let’s build the solutions of our dreams together.